- Competent Cells
- General Cloning & Library Construction
- TransforMax™ EC100™ Electrocompetent and Chemically Competent E. coli
TransforMax™ EC100™ Electrocompetent and Chemically Competent E. coli
General cloning strain
- Clone large inserts and transform large plasmids - up to at least 145 kb plasmid DNA.
- Achieve high efficiencies with convenient chemically competent format: >5 × 108 cfu/µg pUC19 DNA.
- Ideal for cloning, subcloning and plasmid preparation due to endA and recA mutations.
- Routine cloning of DNA up to 200 kb.
The highly versatile TransforMax™ EC100™ E. coli competent cells are ideal for most cloning applications. The cells provide very high transformation efficiency when tested against a wide range of supercoiled DNAs as well as DNA directly from a ligation reaction (Table 1).
- High transformation efficiency with clones of all sizes, including BAC clones (Table 1).
- lacZΔM15 for blue/white screening of recombinants.
- Restriction minus [mcrA, Δ(mrr-hsdRMS-mcrBC)] enables efficient cloning of methylated DNA.
- Endonuclease minus (endA1) to ensure high yields of DNA.
- Recombination minus (recA1) for greater stability of large cloned inserts.
| pUC19 || 1.4 × 108 || 1.4 × 1010 |
| 8.1-kb Clone || 1.3 × 107 || Not tested |
| 13.1-kb Clone || 4.3 × 106 || 1.3 × 109 |
| 23.1-kb Clone || 9.2 × 105 || 3.0 × 108 |
| 145-kb BAC Clone || Not tested || 7 × 107 |
| 13.1-kb clone directly from a ligation reaction || 2.2 × 105 || 2.1 × 107 |
Table 1. Comparison of the transformation efficiencies of TransforMax™ EC100™ E. coli with a variety of DNAs. Transformations were performed using 50 µl of competent cells and either supercoiled DNAs of the indicated sizes or a 1-µl aliquot from a standard 10-µl ligation reaction. Results shown are in cfu/µg of DNA and are the average transformation efficiencies obtained from several trials.
F- mcrA Δ(mrr-hsdRMS-mcrBC) Φ80dlacZΔM15 ΔlacX74
recA1 endA1 araD139 Δ(ara, leu)7697 galU galK λ- rpsL
TransforMax EC100 Electrocompetent E. coli
- Transformation efficiency of >1 × 1010 cfu/µg of pUC19.
TransforMax EC100 Chemically Competent E. coli
- Transformation efficiency of >5 × 108 cfu/µg of pUC19.